default   Racket Bugs
Main PageQuick QueryStandard QueryAdvanced QueryHelp
Log in

View Problem Report: 12509

send email to interested parties or send email followup to audit-trail
Reporter's email: aloud at ccis dot neu dot edu
Number: 12509
Category: all
Synopsis: Add support for inclusion of animated gifs
Class: change-request
Responsible: samth
Notify-List:
Severity: non-critical
Priority: medium
State: closed
Confidential: no
Arrival-Date: Mon Jan 23 19:24:01 -0500 2012
Closed-Date: Wed Feb 01 17:24:16 -0500 2012
Last-Modified: Mon Feb 18 23:26:13 -0500 2013
Originator: Alec Loudenback
Organization: plt
Submitter-Id: unknown
Release: 5.2
Environment: windows "Windows NT 6.1 (Build 7601) Service Pack 1" (win32\i386\3m) (get-display-depth) = 32
Human Language: english
(current-memory-use) 144684904
Links: (links) = (); (links #:user? #f) = (); (links #:root? #t) = (); (links #:user? #f #:root? #t) = ()


Collections:
("\\\\ccis-windows\\ccis\\MyHome\\.WIN_PROFILE\\Application Data\\Racket\\5.2\\collects"
("class" "info-domain"))
("V:\\C_PLT_Racket_52\\collects"
("compiler" "racket" "syntax" "unstable" "scribble" "games" "lang" "net" "file" "config" "drracket" "mred" "scheme" "mzscheme" "mzlib" "setup" "planet" "ffi" "framework" "icons" "mrlib" "string-constants" "syntax-color" "parser-tools" "xml" "openssl" "srfi" "browser" "help" "trace" "typed" "typed-racket" "wxme" "html" "launcher" "dynext" "version" "errortrace" "info-domain" "algol60" "deinprogramm" "gui-debugger" "lazy" "macro-debugger" "rackunit" "slideshow" "stepper" "swindle" "test-box-recovery" "test-engine" "frtime" "drscheme" "data" "texpict" "datalog" "db" "scribblings" "embedded-gui" "eopl" "xrepl" "web-server" "typed-scheme" "tex2page" "teachpack" "slatex" "sgl" "scriblib" "schemeunit" "s-exp" "rnrs" "redex" "readline" "reader" "raco" "racklog" "r6rs" "r5rs" "profile" "preprocessor" "plot" "plai" "picturing-programs" "mzcom" "mysterx" "make" "htdp" "hierlist" "graphics" "defaults" "combinator-parser" "at-exp" "2htdp"))

Computer Language: (("Determine language from source") (#(#t print mixed-fraction-e #f #t debug) (default) #() "#lang racket\n" #t #t))
Description: Add support for animated images in Dr. Racket.
File Attachments:
How-To-Repeat:
Fix:
Release-Note:
Unformatted:

send email to interested parties or send email followup to audit-trail

Audit Trail:

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu>
To: bugs at racket-lang.org
Cc: nobody at racket-lang.org, bug-notification at racket-lang.org
Subject: Re: [racket-bug] all/12509: Add support for inclusion of animated gifs
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 19:28:36 -0500

 This is a report from a student in my first-year class, who is looking
 for animated GIF support in DrRacket.
 
 On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 7:24 PM,  <aloud at ccis.neu.edu> wrote:
 > A new problem report is waiting at
 >  http://bugs.racket-lang.org/query/?cmd=view&pr=12509
 >
 > Reported by Alec Loudenback for release: 5.2
 >
 > *** Description:
 > Add support for animated images in Dr. Racket.
 >
 > *** How to repeat:
 
 
 -- 
 sam th
 samth at ccs.neu.edu
 
From: Robby Findler <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu>
To: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu>
Cc: "bugs at racket-lang.org" <bugs at racket-lang.org>,
        "nobody at racket-lang.org" <nobody at racket-lang.org>,
        "bug-notification at racket-lang.org" <bug-notification at racket-lang.org>
Subject: Re: [racket-bug] all/12509: Add support for inclusion of animated gifs
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 19:22:43 -0600

 --14dae9d678bee6a77404b73bfb65
 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
 
 What does he want to do with them?
 
 Robby
 
 On Monday, January 23, 2012, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
 > This is a report from a student in my first-year class, who is looking
 > for animated GIF support in DrRacket.
 >
 > On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 7:24 PM,  <aloud at ccis.neu.edu> wrote:
 >> A new problem report is waiting at
 >>  http://bugs.racket-lang.org/query/?cmd=view&pr=12509
 >>
 >> Reported by Alec Loudenback for release: 5.2
 >>
 >> *** Description:
 >> Add support for animated images in Dr. Racket.
 >>
 >> *** How to repeat:
 >
 >
 > --
 > sam th
 > samth at ccs.neu.edu
 >
 
 --14dae9d678bee6a77404b73bfb65
 Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
 
 What does he want to do with them?<br><br>Robby<br><br>On Monday, January 2=
 3, 2012, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:samth at ccs.neu.edu">samth=
 @ccs.neu.edu</a>&gt; wrote:<br>&gt; This is a report from a student in my f=
 irst-year class, who is looking<br>
 &gt; for animated GIF support in DrRacket.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; On Mon, Jan 23, =
 2012 at 7:24 PM, =C2=A0&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:aloud at ccis.neu.edu">aloud@ccis=
 .neu.edu</a>&gt; wrote:<br>&gt;&gt; A new problem report is waiting at<br>&=
 gt;&gt; =C2=A0<a href=3D"http://bugs.racket-lang.org/query/?cmd=3Dview&amp;=
 pr=3D12509">http://bugs.racket-lang.org/query/?cmd=3Dview&amp;pr=3D12509</a=
 ><br>
 &gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; Reported by Alec Loudenback for release: 5.2<br>&gt;&g=
 t;<br>&gt;&gt; *** Description:<br>&gt;&gt; Add support for animated images=
  in Dr. Racket.<br>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; *** How to repeat:<br>&gt;<br>&gt;<=
 br>
 &gt; --<br>&gt; sam th<br>&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:samth at ccs.neu.edu">samth@c=
 cs.neu.edu</a><br>&gt;
 
 --14dae9d678bee6a77404b73bfb65--
From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu>
To: Robby Findler <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu>
Cc: "bugs at racket-lang.org" <bugs at racket-lang.org>,
        "nobody at racket-lang.org" <nobody at racket-lang.org>,
        "bug-notification at racket-lang.org" <bug-notification at racket-lang.org>
Subject: Re: [racket-bug] all/12509: Add support for inclusion of animated gifs
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:09:28 -0500

 The immediate thing that doesn't "work" is copying and pasting them
 into drracket -- that only pastes the first frame.  The student was
 also hoping to use it with 2htdp/image and 2htdp/universe to
 automatically animate, which obviously won't work.
 
 Probably, there's no bug here.
 
 On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Robby Findler
 <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
 > What does he want to do with them?
 >
 > Robby
 >
 >
 > On Monday, January 23, 2012, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
 >> This is a report from a student in my first-year class, who is looking
 >> for animated GIF support in DrRacket.
 >>
 >> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 7:24 PM,  <aloud at ccis.neu.edu> wrote:
 >>> A new problem report is waiting at
 >>>  http://bugs.racket-lang.org/query/?cmd=view&pr=12509
 >>>
 >>> Reported by Alec Loudenback for release: 5.2
 >>>
 >>> *** Description:
 >>> Add support for animated images in Dr. Racket.
 >>>
 >>> *** How to repeat:
 >>
 >>
 >> --
 >> sam th
 >> samth at ccs.neu.edu
 >>
 
 
 
 -- 
 sam th
 samth at ccs.neu.edu
 
From: Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu>
To: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu>
Cc: Robby Findler <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu>,
        "bugs at racket-lang.org" <bugs at racket-lang.org>,
        "nobody at racket-lang.org" <nobody at racket-lang.org>,
        "bug-notification at racket-lang.org" <bug-notification at racket-lang.org>
Subject: Re: [racket-bug] all/12509: Add support for inclusion of animated gifs
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:32:26 -0500

 fwiw wescheme does support animated gifs and Emu uses them to good effect. 
 
 
 
 On Jan 23, 2012, at 9:09 PM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
 
 > The immediate thing that doesn't "work" is copying and pasting them
 > into drracket -- that only pastes the first frame.  The student was
 > also hoping to use it with 2htdp/image and 2htdp/universe to
 > automatically animate, which obviously won't work.
 > 
 > Probably, there's no bug here.
 > 
 > On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Robby Findler
 > <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
 >> What does he want to do with them?
 >> 
 >> Robby
 >> 
 >> 
 >> On Monday, January 23, 2012, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
 >>> This is a report from a student in my first-year class, who is looking
 >>> for animated GIF support in DrRacket.
 >>> 
 >>> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 7:24 PM,  <aloud at ccis.neu.edu> wrote:
 >>>> A new problem report is waiting at
 >>>>  http://bugs.racket-lang.org/query/?cmd=view&pr=12509
 >>>> 
 >>>> Reported by Alec Loudenback for release: 5.2
 >>>> 
 >>>> *** Description:
 >>>> Add support for animated images in Dr. Racket.
 >>>> 
 >>>> *** How to repeat:
 >>> 
 >>> 
 >>> --
 >>> sam th
 >>> samth at ccs.neu.edu
 >>> 
 > 
 > 
 > 
 > -- 
 > sam th
 > samth at ccs.neu.edu
 
 
From: Robby Findler <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu>
To: Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu>
Cc: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu>,
        "bugs at racket-lang.org" <bugs at racket-lang.org>,
        "nobody at racket-lang.org" <nobody at racket-lang.org>,
        "bug-notification at racket-lang.org" <bug-notification at racket-lang.org>
Subject: Re: [racket-bug] all/12509: Add support for inclusion of animated gifs
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 20:53:43 -0600

 I'm not really clear what we should do with them. Count them as a
 vector of images? Make BSL be an frtime derivative? Something in
 between? (what?)
 
 Robby
 
 On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 8:32 PM, Matthias Felleisen
 <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
 >
 > fwiw wescheme does support animated gifs and Emu uses them to good effect.
 >
 >
 >
 > On Jan 23, 2012, at 9:09 PM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
 >
 >> The immediate thing that doesn't "work" is copying and pasting them
 >> into drracket -- that only pastes the first frame.  The student was
 >> also hoping to use it with 2htdp/image and 2htdp/universe to
 >> automatically animate, which obviously won't work.
 >>
 >> Probably, there's no bug here.
 >>
 >> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Robby Findler
 >> <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
 >>> What does he want to do with them?
 >>>
 >>> Robby
 >>>
 >>>
 >>> On Monday, January 23, 2012, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
 >>>> This is a report from a student in my first-year class, who is looking
 >>>> for animated GIF support in DrRacket.
 >>>>
 >>>> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 7:24 PM,  <aloud at ccis.neu.edu> wrote:
 >>>>> A new problem report is waiting at
 >>>>>  http://bugs.racket-lang.org/query/?cmd=view&pr=12509
 >>>>>
 >>>>> Reported by Alec Loudenback for release: 5.2
 >>>>>
 >>>>> *** Description:
 >>>>> Add support for animated images in Dr. Racket.
 >>>>>
 >>>>> *** How to repeat:
 >>>>
 >>>>
 >>>> --
 >>>> sam th
 >>>> samth at ccs.neu.edu
 >>>>
 >>
 >>
 >>
 >> --
 >> sam th
 >> samth at ccs.neu.edu
 >
 

State changed from "open" to "closed" by samth at Wed, 01 Feb 2012 17:24:16 -0500
Reason>>> No clear improvement.


Responsible changed from "nobody" to "samth" by eli at Mon, 18 Feb 2013 23:26:13 -0500
Reason>>> samth closed